Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Identical or Fraternal??

When I was pregnant with the boys, the hospital told me that they were identical. But, shortly before they were born they said fraternal. Then I was told that I'd have to wait until they were born.

A couple of weeks after they were born I called the doctors office and they told me they were fraternal. I was kinda bummed because I was hoping they were identical.

It took me 2 months to be able to tell them apart without having nail polish on Aaron's pinky. I usually put Aiden on the left and Aaron on the right (oldest to youngest), I did that with their bottles too since they are on different formula.. Aaron is on sensitive for his acid reflux. Aiden has about two pounds on Aaron.

I am a part of a twins group and there were a lot of moms on there that said they were told their twins were fraternal but did a DNA test and found out that they were identical. So I decided to do a DNA test also and I got the results today... IDENTICAL!!!

My husband called the company because he was curious to how the hospital could be wrong. When the hospital does the test work, they test the placentas. There's no guarantee that they are getting all the DNA on the boys. They got some of mine which messed up the results. So if you in doubt, do the test! We used Genesys. It was 79.99 and they were pretty quick at sending the results.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!
    The reality is that the hospitals do not DNA test the placentas. They simply check to see whether they are separate, fused or one and then, based on that, they proclaim the zygosity. In our case, that was a no-brainer. Our twins had separate placentas on polar opposite sides of teh uterus. When they were born, the pediatrician said they were identical, but hospital "tests" confirmed they were fraternal, according to our OB.
    Like you, we couldn't tell them apart, so we finally had them DNA tested. They are identical.
    That's when I asked my OB for specifics on the hospital test and he looked into it. Even he did not realize that all they did was look at the placentas.

    ReplyDelete